Friday, January 27, 2006

Full Circle

We finally planned it! The trip that I’ve been waiting to take with my son for so long! The same trip I took with my parents as a five year-old (see my entry “Where It All Started”). We’ve planned a week in some of the most spectacular places in the Southwest: Zion, Bryce, and Cedar Breaks. We’re also visiting/hiking someplace that I’ve never been and am excited to explore: Grand Staircase – Escalante National Monument. From what I’ve read about it, it seems to be a bit more rugged than Zion or Bryce, so we’ll see how far we actually get there with a 4 year-old!

We’ve decided to rent an RV – a 24-foot slideout. I’ve never camped in an RV; I’m usually more than happy to sleep on the ground in a tent, but the only way to get my husband to come on this trip was some compromise in this department. I suppose it will be nice to have a private bathroom and shower! I’m definitely the outdoorsy person between us, and I’m determined that my son get to know the outdoors as well. Nonetheless, I am happy to report that my husband is very excited about the trip. If all it takes is for us to sleep in an RV, then that’s what we’ll do!

The last time I was any where near this area was 10 years ago…I can hardly believe that it’s been that long. I took a wilderness class at Cal State Long Beach and by the end of the class we got to take a 10-day trip at Lake Powell. We truly roughed it. We took all the food that we were going to eat for the entire 10 days and set out in our kayaks and canoes. Many a night we just slept out under the stars – no tent. It was an amazing experience, and I only hope that my son will be able to get the same kind of joy from the outdoors as I do. The two times we have taken him camping, he’s seemed to truly enjoy it – so far so good!

1 comment:

Michael said...

Jeannie, Your trip to Lake Powell on a wilderness adventure sounds like the start of another book or story. There are a lot of things stored in your mind from that trip that could fit into a mystery. Either an abandoned campsite with all the gear still there, ancient Indian cave found while following a white squirrel, maybe something descovered due to extremely low levels in the lake during a dry spell. And, there are your other trips to draw from for detail.
I've always loved the outdoors and the opportunities that it offers for sports, exercise and simple living. You have a lot of material to use when you start to write more. Michael